Pages

Wednesday 26 December 2018

Activity 3: The Midnight Zone Summer Learning Journey

Let’s imagine that the average adult can lift 25 kg and the average child can lift 15 kg. How many adults and children will it take to move the giant squid into its new room at Te Papa? [Note: There is more than one right answer to this question.]

On your blog, tell us how you will solve this maths problem. You can write your answer in words, use a Sketchpad image or post a video explaining how would you figure it out. Be sure to give us your final answer.

11 adults and 16 students to lift the squid.
How did you solve it?
Firstly you can halve the 500 which is 250 then add up the numbers that equals to this. Then I can calculated all the numbers which came to this answer.



1 comments:

Ellee said...

Hi Ana!

Just me again :)

Thank you for sharing your answer for this activity. :)
I am thinking that maybe you have gotten a little bit confused or maybe misread what the question is asking -
For this activity you needed to see if you can come up with a team of adults and children who would be able to move the squid.
Children can only lift 15kg's each and adults can only lift 20kg's each.

Hopefully this might help with your thinking:

I know that 4 x 25 = 100
so if I want to lift 100kg's I would need 4 adults

I know that 15 x 10 = 150
I know if I double 150 = 300
So if I wanted to lift 300kg's I would need 20 kids.

This is not the full or only solution to the problem but hopefully it might give you a clear idea of how you can go about it! :)

Nga mihi,
Ellee :)

Post a Comment