Pages

Wednesday 2 January 2019

Day 2 The Air Up There Summer Learning Journey

  • The word ‘bumblebee’ is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word ‘bumble’ means to ________to progress or act on a mentally manner__________________.
  • Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of ____54___ kilometres per hour (km/h).
  • Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to 90____ percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.
  • Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact, they can do up to   _50_____ times as much work as a normal honeybee.
  • The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the  _________Key Food Source____________.

1 comments:

Ellee said...

Hi Ana!

Awesome job with these facts!
It was so interesting to read this information on the bumblebee - man they are hard workers!!

Did any of these facts take you by surprise?
I think I was really shocked at how fast they could go!
I used to own a scooter that could go about the same speed (54km/h) and it was working so hard to get to that speed... I also felt like I was going pretty fast! :) I think it is amazing that a bumblebee can do the same!

I was also surprised that they could carry 90% of their body weight in food!
I think I could only lift maybe 50% of my body weigh and even that is tiring!
I think if I had to carry around all of my food for the day I would be sticking to light things like rice crackers and popcorn. :)

Ka pai Ana!

Nga mihi,
Ellee :)

Post a Comment